How to drive someone crazy from 1100 miles away

06 July 2007

In which I photographically update you on the last several months and prove how Supremely Dorky I truly am

For those of you who wanted to see my engagement ring:
Ain't that purty (ignoring my awful cuticles)? It's about a half carat, emerald cut, near colorless, nicest representation of a compliment anyone has ever given me. And fyi, we are not setting a date, so don't worry yourselves. We have decided we are not engaged to be married, but engaged to be engaged. For a really long time. Possibly forever. We'll let you know. Don't call us, we'll call you. Can you tell I am asked this question quite a bit?

Who wants to see the move?

Washers and dryers must go up, and the apartment people have a nifty contraption for getting them into our loft, see?
It cranks your heavy stuff up to the loft, so you don't completely destroy the inside stairwells trying to move your mega appliances. Nice, eh?

There is a great little lake in the middle of the apartment complex (odd term, "apartment complex", don't you think?) and it is inhabitted by many ducks and turtles. Apparently, the ducks were hungry.

And Mom got tired. We couldn't put the patio furniture out until everything was indoors, so it stayed in the grass for most of the day.
We are loving the apartment. There is so much quiet and solitude, which is such a nice break from the giant crazy house full of crazy people. Things got a little tense at the end, there. It's good to be on our own.
In more recent events, this year marks the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars films, and Yoshi and I, being Supreme Dorks of the Highest Order, took ourselves to Star Wars Weekends at Disney MGM. Don't we look excited? And can you tell I've got Princess Leia hair?
Well, I do.

Who doesn't love Boba Fett?Here is Yoshi preparing for Jedi training, or modelling a backpack done up to look like Yoda, you decide. I almost bought a Yoda backpack, then relaized I could never fit a sweater project into it. Socks, maybe, but never sweaters. Yoda is not a particulary roomy Jedi.

This was freaking adorable. They taught little kids a few light saber moves, then pitted them against the Dark Lord of the Sith. One kid just started whacking the poor guy, totally ignoring the choreography he had just been taught. Six year old amateurs. Got me sympathizing with the actor in the Vader costume quite a bit, because really, how many kids have maybe done this to him all day? I guess that's what he gets for turning to the Dark Side.
And then there was the dance contest. Believe your eyes, friends, these are Star Wars characters dressed up as the Village People, and they did the YMCA. But it was the Y-O-D-A. No shit. We couldn't fit him in the shot, but Greedo was the Native American Village Person. More on Greedo in a minute.
First, there is Chewbacca doing the John Travolta. I'm sorry I can't figure out how to turn him, but for crying out loud, people, I play with string for several hours a day. Haven't you figured out I am not that bright yet?


Chewy was a hell of a dancer, even for a Wookiee. We were really impressed; Yoshi actually took about fifteen pictures of this, but I don't want to use up all my blog space on it. If you really want to see, email me. Or, just imagine him doing that arm-snake thing from Saturday Night Fever. It was just like that.

I saw a Sandman give Greedo a Wet Willie, and realized I didn't know I'd ever see such a thing in my life.


There were Jawas signing autographs and inducing mayhem.



As well as Warwick Davis (Wicket W. Warwick in Return of the Jedi, in case anyone was born under a rock) and Anthony Daniels (C3-PO, you rock-dwellers).



Not as much mayhem from them, they were very nice and well-behaved.

There was this guy, who for no good reason seemed quite taken with me.


And at the end of it all, I took a moment to remember my first love.

Oh, Han, what happened to us?

Later, knitting content. Because there's progress. Hope you enjoyed all the pictures.

4 Comments:

Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Delightful. I probably shouldn't tell you that I haven't seen a one of the Star Wars movies, should I? In my defense, I did grow up under a rock.

4:48 PM

 
Blogger CygKnit said...

2 out of 3 of the residents of our home *loved* your post. The 3rd still is pretty much under a rock (in his defense, he's 3 wks. old. He will be taught).

Also, the pic of Yoshi smiling is awesome. I didn't know such things could be captured on film.

11:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you! It's been a long time.

I don't do knitting group anymore, so don't know what's up with them.

Congrats on the engaged-to-be-engaged and the new apt. It looks like a nice place.

4:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on to your blog for the first time and just love your Star Wars pics. I'm a knitter and Star Wars fan since childhood. I wish I could have been there with you! (I love the hair, too!)

11:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home