How to drive someone crazy from 1100 miles away

27 December 2006

I Survived Christmas and All I Got was this Lousy Blog Post

Okay, that title is entirely untrue. I got more than the blog post. We'll get to that.

Mom and Dad Dragon came out for the festivities in the early afternoon. We ate turkey within an hour of their arrival, then opened up the gifts we got each other. By late afternoon, they packed it in and went home. Mixed emotions.

First, I wasn't looking forward to this holiday (as we all know). So the fact that it was over quick was, well, kinda nice. I was exhausted; I fell asleep in Yoshi's lap around 6 pm and didn't wake up properly until the next morning (8:15), when I went to work. Sure, he picked my sorry butt up off the couch and walked me to bed, but that was all the activity I could muster. I was done for.

On the other hand, my parents didn't even stay for pie and egg nog. (Don't worry, Yoshi and I ate the entire pecan pie already, and there are two cheesecakes and a French silk to go, courtesy of Mom) If I had known they were going to do this, I would have slept the extra hour and a half in the morning rather than get up to bake a pecan pie. Also, when I go to them for holidays and such, they always get a little pouty if I act like I am going to leave before we watch a movie or visit a while or do whatever it is they want to do. I feel a bit obligated to stay, because I really don't make a huge effort to go see them "just because" anymore. But they were nothing but tail lights before the sun went down. I have to admit, I have a tiny amount of hurt feelings over this.

There is, of course, more.

I don't think my father is comfortable in my home, or on my "turf". It takes the man an hour and a half to get here, and he always has a reason to leave immediately. He has to check on his puppies, he has to pick up his boat, he has "things to do". The man is retired, what does he have to do?!? Example:

Not long ago, my 'rents had cause to pick up some extended family from the airport that is just down the street from my house; they knew I was going to be working, so I asked them to come have lunch in my restaurant so I could have a chance to see said family and them, and they could see the beautiful place I work. Halfway through their entrees, Dad is saying we gotta go, give us our check. I never planned on giving them their check, and said so, and he got a little cranky and made more "I gotta go" noises at me, until I explained that their lunch was on me and they were welcome to come and go as they wished, and invited them to walk the grounds a bit, because there is a pretty lake and dock right outside and I hoped they would like it. He left a really nice tip on the table and almost got away without even saying goodbye.

I guess the moral of the story is, I just don't get my father. I'm just not his baby girl anymore, unless I am in his house or somehow on his terms, like if he takes me to lunch or something like that. *sigh*

There was a really great part of Christmas this year. It was Yoshi. He was kind and supportive during my pre-holiday meltdown, thoughtful and generous in his gifts for me, grateful for the gifts I got him, helpful all Christmas day. He made the best turkey ever, carved it up and served it, and all in all acted like he didn't hate any part of what was going on. He complimented most of my side dishes (he doesn't eat stuffing or carrots, but really enjoyed everything else), and loved my pie. He watched me become crestfallen when Mom and Dad left, and reacted with cheer and enthusiasm, to make sure I didn't bottom out. He was unbelievably great, and I am lucky to have him on holidays and any other day.

Best present? That award goes to the book of constellations from Yoshi, which he got so we can lay in our backyard hammock together at night, and stargaze. Yup. He bought me a bookful of quality time. And that's why I have fallen in love with him all over again this Christmas.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{Lisa}}} I'm so glad Yoshi was there for you.

One of these days at SnB we'll talk parents. ;-)

10:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the Rocky Dvd with a ticket to see the new Rocky for free. I'm excited.

I wasn't very thrilled with the turkey. It was okay, but I loved the mashed potatoes which I finished off today.

8:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home