How to drive someone crazy from 1100 miles away

20 December 2006

It just ain't happening

I recently read a little something about the infrequency of posting. It made me feel a wee bit guilty. Then I realized, I have a life outside my computer. Who knew?
Knitting? What knitting? I have been working way too much to even get the yarn out of skein form, let alone pick up some sticks. I am just so tired and holidays are bearing down. I really thought I might get out of it this year until Mama Dragon let me know she would be taking me up on my challenge to come to my house this year. Note to all who don't necessarily care for holidays: Do not throw down the gauntlet at your mother. She will pick it up and make you run around all day buying turkey and trimmings and gifts and considering the dietary needs of others, with not even a second thought that you may have been bluffing.
Okay, maybe I'm a little (read: a lot) bah humbug, but man, oh man, I don't care for holidays anymore. I don't believe in Christmas in so many ways. I am not a Christian, nor do I subscribe to the rampant consumerism that plagues this holiday. No Santa for me, thanks. Family get-togethers? Not really big on those since my own family started dwindling down through deaths and loss of contact. My family used to be really large, and a fun group, but now... I am just reminded further that we are not what we used to be every time I see another empty place at the table.
Possible solutions? I could start raising my own family; not really ready for that, though. I could banish the holiday from my life (tried and failed) but the way our country operates will not allow that. Everywhere I look is another reminder that it is THE HOLIDAY SEASON and I should be out spending money and time gifting people in mass quantities.
I just can't get into this anymore. I'm just too tired of it all. I saw through the master plan, I peeked behind the curtain, I am unable to believe in the spirit of the season. Depressing? Yes. Cynical? Very. Be assured, it is more painful for me than you.
Yoshi is getting gifts, though. And damn thoughtful ones, at that. I'm trying, people, I really am, but it's hard. At least I'm not attempting to knit on a deadline, like the rest of the knitting world. Takes all the fun out of it, if you ask me (and you are still reading, so I assume you would).
I'm just unhappy right now. Sorry for the total lack of knitting content and oversaturation of cynicism. I'll be back to normal perkiness levels after January 7, I promise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll miss you tonight!

I hear you about knitting on a deadline. I HATE doing that, but I've done it to myself again. Although, my deadline is aways away ... I'm doing a red scarf for The Red Scarf Project. But, still, it's a deadline. :-(

I'm not a Christmas person either...can't wait for the 25th to be gone. (Okay ... I said it. You'd think not liking Christmas was a federal crime.)

9:10 AM

 
Blogger CygKnit said...

I was very excited to see you post...then very sad to see you so unhappy.

Please tell me what I can do to help (besides shooting any elves I see).

11:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home